Housing Needs Assessment
As of April 2019, local governments are provincially required to develop and publish housing needs reports. In doing so, local governments and the provincial government can better understand and address housing needs throughout B.C. The Cowichan Valley Regional District is developing a Regional Housing Needs Assessment in partnership with the member municipalities of the Town of Ladysmith, the District of North Cowichan, the City of Duncan and the Town of Lake Cowichan for each electoral areas and member municipality.
The Housing Needs Reports funding program, administered by the Union of BC Municipalities (UBCM), supports local governments in undertaking housing needs reports in order to meet the provincial requirements.
A housing needs assessment will help us understand what kinds of housing are most needed in our region’s communities now and in the future, which will help inform local plans, policies, and development decisions.
What Is a Housing Needs Assessment?
Housing needs reports aim to identify current and predicted gaps in housing supply by collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative information about:
- Current and projected population
- Household income
- Significant economic sectors
- Currently available and anticipated housing units
A completed report is required to contain statements about key needs, the number and type of housing units required and the number of households in core and extreme core housing needs. More information on Provincial housing needs reports and requirements can be found here.
Project Next Steps
This website will be the primary digital information hub for this project on behalf of the Cowichan Valley Regional District, including our 9 electoral areas and the member municipalities of the Town of Ladysmith, the District of North Cowichan, the City of Duncan and the Town of Lake Cowichan.
The process includes the following steps:
- Getting Ready- Developing our Communications and Engagement Strategy and Undertaking Background Research- May-July 2020
- Information Gathering- Data Analysis, Projections and Undertaking Community Engagement- July-September 2020
- Compiling Findings- Submitting Draft Report- October 2020
- Presenting Findings- Finalize and Present Housing Needs Assessment- November 2020- January 2021
- Submitting and Posting Final Report- January 2021