Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
1. New Hospital Concept PlanChair Jon Lefebure provided an update of his meeting with the Minister of Health regarding the new Cowichan Regional Hospital. This meeting was held at the Union of BC Municipalities Conference in Victoria. The Minister indicated the Cowichan Valley Regional District (CVRD) should move ahead with a concept plan for the new hospital. The Board referred to staff to report back on how best to move forward with a concept plan.
2. Cowichan Lake Weir Pumps Chair Lefebure provided an update on a news conference held at the Cowichan Lake weir on September 29 as part of the testing of Catalyst’s pumps. These pumps were placed in the river to provide adequate river flow, if needed, due to low lake levels. As a result of recent rainfall, the lake level has risen to meet flow requirements for the Cowichan River and the pumps are being dismantled.
3.Electoral Area Grant-in-AidThe Board of Directors approved the following grant-in-aid:• Electoral Area C - $750 Cobble Hill Event Society
4. Cowichan WatershedThe Board adopted a reserve fund expenditure bylaw to authorize expenditures up to $20,000 from the regional Feasibility Study Reserve Fund for the establishment of a service for watershed management activities within the Cowichan Watershed. These funds will be used to support engagement with residents regarding water supply and water quality issues within the Cowichan watershed and determining what authorities for management and taxation, if any, the CVRD should assume through a new service.
5. National Disaster Mitigation ProjectsThe Board approved the following National Disaster Mitigation projects to be submitted for federal funding:• Regional risk assessment of CVRD dam structures (Stream 1)• Risk assessment of CVRD floodplain areas (Stream 1)• Coastal sea level rise risk assessment (Stream 1)• Koksilah/Shu-kwuykselu stormwater drainage mitigation plan (Stream 3)• Cowichan Tribes Clem Clem national disaster mitigation projects application
6. Economic DevelopmentThe Board allocated• A $5,000 contribution to the Vancouver Island Economic Alliance to support the development of a Forestry Value Added Feasibility Study.• A one-time $15,000 contribution to Tourism Cowichan included in the 2017 Tourism budget to support the Savour Cowichan event.
7. Cowichan Valley TrailApproval was given to submit an application to the BC Rural Dividend Program for a $500,000 grant to complete the Saltair section of the Cowichan Valley Trail. The total project cost of $1.21 million will be supplemented with an allocation of $225,000 from the CVRD Community Works Fund and allocations from the Regional Parks function over a three year period.
8. Cowichan Watershed BoardFollowing a request from the Cowichan Watershed Board, the CVRD Board supported increasing the number of Cowichan Watershed Board members from 12 up to 14 to allow for three Cowichan Tribes members to be appointed.
Like the CVRD on Facebook and/or follow the CVRD on Twitter to keep informed on what’s happening in your regional district.
The Board meets at the CVRD Office, 175 Ingram Street, Duncan, BC on the second Wednesday of each month, except when scheduled otherwise in advance. For more information on the items list above, please contact Cynthia Lockrey, Manager Strategic Services email@example.com